Brief History

history01
Established in 1930 by the Sisters of St. Clare, Sacred Heart occupied its original site adjacent to the Poor Clare Convent in Castle Street, Newry for 55 years. By the time the move to Ashgrove Avenue was finalised the staff were working between the 6 original classrooms and an additional 32 mobile classrooms.

statue
Mr J. Parkes, the then Permanent Secretary to the Department of Education officially opened the new School premises in December 1985 while Mr J. Smith, Assistant Secretary to the Department, opened the Science and Technology Block in June 1997.